Friday, April 10, 2009

Using the appliances for the first time

I read through the manuals before trying to use each appliance for the first time and this is what I learned:

Stove
  • There is a funny smell when it's turned on for the first time - inside should be turned on and preheated for a little while before you put food in
  • There's a cream that comes for the top, this should be put on with a sponge to protect it. I wonder where I can buy more of this cream if I run out?

Dishwasher

  • As I've never had a dishwasher before, this is all new to me.
  • There are 2 things you need to put in - detergent (either liquid, powder, gel or the cubes) as well as a jet-dry liquid
  • After my dinner party, I tried it out and it worked well. It only uses hot water, so different water temperature options are not an option.

Washer

  • After reading all the reviews, I purchased HE (high efficiency) liquid which has less suds and will make the washer last longer
  • I also bought a HE compatible fabric softener
  • First you load in the clothes, and hit "power" and then add the detergent - it's like using a computer
  • Very different from my top load, where I would first turn on the water, then add detergent then add the clothes
  • It also takes longer - on "normal/casual" cycle it's about 56 minutes
  • I agree with some criticisms on the Sears web-site - it does sound like a small jet engine taking off, but I don't mind it (as long as it doesn't leak!)
  • I'm afraid I'm going to stuff it too full, but there are guidelines in the manual
  • Capacity is 3.7 cubic feet, when it's done you need to leave the door open to air out
  • Makes an annoying repeated beeping noise when done, I think there's a way to turn this off - I just need one beep.

Dryer

  • Extremely quiet, both washer and dryer are "Quiet Pak 4", capacity 6.7 cubic feet (huge!)
  • My last dryer made loud mechanical noises
  • I like the "wet" sensor - if you put it in auto mode, it senses how dry the clothes are and stops when it's done. This takes the guesswork out of laundry.
  • I'm still able to use a dryer sheet in this, just need to remember to turn the fan on so it vents outside. My last dryer wasn't connected to the vent so the lint and heat came back inside my apartment.
  • Surprised it doesn't signal that it's done (by a beep) - would like to have one beep to signal it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment